Thursday, February 20, 2014

Big news!

Although most of the (very few!) people who read this blog already know this information, it is worth announcing that Doug and I are having a baby!  Here is what we posted on Facebook, based on the trivia cards we had on the tables at our wedding reception:





Now that the obvious is out of the way, it may be worth telling more of the story.  We have been trying to conceive since shortly after our wedding (for those counting, that's a year and a half), with no success.  We did the cheapy tests and found nothing wrong, but I wasn't willing to commit to the expensive tests that insurance wouldn't pay for without trying other things.  So last summer we basically quit drinking alcohol, started eating healthier and I started acupuncture.  Acupuncture was an interesting experience, to say the least, but nothing changed in the getting-preggo department.

So, in the fall, I finally succumbed to having the expensive tests.  The ultrasound (which is done to check for fibroids, I think) found nothing wrong, but the other test, which was so painful that I've managed to block out the name of it (but essentially shows if the fallopian tubes are open) found "something" wrong.  My doctor told me it was "the weirdest" one of these test results she's ever seen...which honestly was a little flattering, but also confusing.  One of my fallopian tubes was open and the other one didn't seem to be blocked, exactly, but something was getting in the way.  So, I had outpatient surgery in November and they ended up removing a polyp in my uterus.  The surgery was an event in and of itself, as I've never had "real" surgery before (only oral surgery, after which I made my mom sing me Christmas songs in the recovery room, despite the fact that it was July).  Needless to say, I made it through that just fine and apparently the surgery "worked" because.....one month later, we found out that we're expecting.

In case anyone is wondering, all is well so far!  We heard the heartbeat at our 10-week appointment in January and everything seems to be progressing well.  I also seem to be in the lucky quadrant of the 25% of women who do NOT experience "morning sickness" (which doesn't always occur in the morning, but is either nausea or vomiting or both)....I've barely felt sick at all, only a little more tired than usual. No cravings, no wild mood swings, just continuing on with life sans lunch meat, sushi, alcohol, and soft cheeses.  Plus I was convinced to get a flu shot for the first time in my life, which it turns out was probably a good idea as the flu has been pretty bad this year, and particularly bad here in Walmart Country.

We are excited about the next year and all the changes it will bring!

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, because I've already got the "what are you having?" question repeatedly, to which my answer is "a baby?," we probably WILL find out the sex of the baby but we likely will NOT be telling people. Why? Because gender is a social construction and I don't like the genderizing of infants and I refuse to participant in it.

Just call me smug, I kind of agree:


2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!! This will be one lucky child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to meet the little one. So happy for the two of you. I am searching for the very best in Canadian baby wear for the little one.

    ReplyDelete