Thursday, December 6, 2012

Grilled cheeses!


I've lost track of what I've talked about and what I haven't, but I'm pretty sure I haven't devoted an entire post to what is one of the shining gems of Walmart Country: the grilled cheese restaurant known as Hammontrees

Hammontrees is in the heart of Fayetteville, in the "entertainment district" right of of Dickson street.  I've been there a couple of times for lunch, but Doug had never been before.  He has, however, been to the food truck owned and operated by Hammontrees, called the Grillenium Falcon.



I believe it was around the time that I found the Grillenium Falcon photo on the website and showed it to Doug when he said "Hmmm, maybe I could move to Fayetteville."  Perhaps a coincidence?

Anyway, both the restaurant and the food truck serve delicious fancy grilled cheeses with fun names.  My normal order is "Brie's Company," which has apple, brie, gouda, onions and fig jam--it is so so tasty.  This time I branched out and ordered the "Cheebacca" which is a bunch of cheese, bacon, pulled pork, and grilled onions.  Also mighty fine. Doug ordered a buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich (the "White Buffalo").

The sandwiches are tasty, we were able to sit on the porch outside on a fine Saturday afternoon (in December!), which felt like a novelty in and of itself, and the real kicker came from the side order of sweet potato fries.

I must wax poetic here for a minute.  Maybe sweet potato fries weren't really a thing when I was younger, or maybe I just never happened to encounter them, but sweet potato fries add a measurable level of quality to my life.  I'm only so-so on actual sweet potatos, but the fries? YUM!  And these SPF provide me with some serious protection from hunger and gloom, let me tell you.  I will say that Hammontrees' sweet potato fries are among the best I've ever had, and they might be the ACTUAL best I've ever had, but I'll need to visit again to be sure. Maybe a few more times, just to be really sure.  Nothin' like a Saturday afternoon walking around town, the sun shining, and sweet potato fries in my belly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment