Thursday, July 19, 2012

Crepes and Armadillos

Like many college towns, Fayetteville has a decent turnover of shops and restaurants.  The good news for us is that we get to try out new places every once in awhile.  Last weekend we decided to visit the new coffee shop/crepe restaurant a half mile from our place.

We hopped on the trail and walked north toward Dickson street, the "entertainment" area of town.  I've mentioned the trail before, right?  The trail system that goes throughout Fayetteville, used regularly by the locals for biking, walking, and running?  Yes, that one.  Well, we were casually walking up the trail and heard a rustling in the bushes on the side of the trail.  When we looked closer, here's what we saw:


It's an armadillo.....an ALIVE armadillo!  Since moving to Albuquerque, I've seen my fair share of dead armadillos on the side of the highway in New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and a few in Arkansas, but I've never seen an alive one so close to me.  It was super cute.

Then we went to the crepe-coffee joint, Arsagas. It's a local chain started about 20 years ago with several locations about town.  Supposedly they roast their own coffee, which I don't even know if I've tried, because we were there for the crepes.  This new branch has a charming, cozy vibe inside, and the back deck is HUGE, facing the trail (picture taken from the trail):


That's only half of the deck.  It's shady, and pretty, and the crepes were delicious.  While there we ran into a colleage of mine who was on the phone getting all excited about a "moderated mediation," to which I loudly dubbed him a nerd.  Although it is nerdy to be proudly exclaiming statistical findings at a restaurant, I can hardly say I blame him--I'd do the same!

Armadillos and crepes, ya'll.  Just two of the fine things Arkansas has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment